Friday, October 14, 2011

DIY Resin Candle Holder

This week's DIY is a make it yourself resin candle holder. You don't have to stick with the cylindrical shape that I've used. The square and bowl shaped holders would work just as well. The best thing about this project is that it takes no time at all to make and you only need a few supplies.

Supplies:
2 glass containers (one small enough to nest in the other)
E-6000 or any other strong glue
Resin (I ended up using about 12oz.)
Any type of filler

Remember, you want your filler to be light enough in color for the candle to show through. I'm using the Agate I collected this summer in Alaska. Glass drops would work as well and they come in a wide variety of colors. I plan on making one with sea glass once I manage to find enough.

The first thing I did was adhere the smaller glass inside the larger one using a good size dollop of the E-6000. Make sure it's centered, press firmly and wait a few minutes to it to take hold.

This gives me about 3/4" - 1" of space on all sides.

Slowly start adding your filler. I covered the center with my hand to prevent rocks from falling into the smaller glass.

It's not quite up to the top but I'm all out of Agate. And I'm ok with that :)
Remember, it doesn't have to be perfect!

I chose to use a paper cup to mix the resin not only because I can just throw it away when I'm done but I can also squeeze the top sides together to get a more direct pour.

Once your resin is mixed slowly start to pour the resin over your filled between the two glass containers. Don't worry if you end up getting some on the glass. Just make sure you wipe it off with a paper towel when you get done pouring.

It takes a while for the resin to make its way down to the bottom. I actually ended up doing 4 small pours with about 5 minutes between each.

The resin will eventually settle at the bottom. I kinda like the look of the Agate that the resin has passed through.

And the finished product. Place your container somewhere it won't get knocked over and let sit 24 hours to harden. You can drop in a tea light candle (or larger, depending on your container)
I can't wait to see how this looks in the dark. I'll try to take some photos tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...