Friday, March 25, 2011

Black Bean Salsa

I'm not one for posting a bunch of recipes and I've been hanging onto this one cause I wanted it all for myself. Seriously. But I figured hey, everyone else should be able to taste how awesomely delicious this is. So I give you: Black Bean Salsa

Main Ingredients:

2 cans black beans {drained & rinsed}
2 cans corn {drained & rinsed}
2-3 Roma tomatoes {diced}
1 packet Good Seasons Italian dressing mix
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin

Drain & rinse black beans & corn. Set them aside in a glass mixing dish. I have a Pyrex bowl that comes with a lid. This is also what I use to serve it in. Chop up tomatoes and toss them in the bowl as well. In a measuring cup add vinegar & olive oil. Add the packet of dry dressing mix and ground cumin. Mix well. Pour this over the bean/corn/tomato mix. Stir everything together.

And now the hard part:

Store in the fridge for 3-4 hours for the flavors to mingle. Yes, you will want to eat this right away. Yes, I do it all the time. But trust me, wait. It's soooo much better. And if you can wait longer, yep, it gets even better.

The above is the very basic recipe and it's up to you to decide what you want to add to it. I'm not really big on tomatoes so sometimes I add less. Sometimes, not at all. For the most part, I always add extra cumin. I love the smoky flavor and kick it gives. I also add fresh chopped cilantro and finely chopped red onion. Really though, whatever you want to add to it is fine.

Here's some other options:

chopped olives
celery
jalapeƱos
green peppers
chili powder
cajun seasoning

I usually buy some Scoops tortilla chips but I've also used this salsa in salad, in a pita with grilled chicken and on burgers. It's very versatile.

I'd love to hear what you guys add and do with yours!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...